What is the brain eating amoeba ?


Naegleria fowleri, colloquially known as a « brain-eating amoeba », is a single-cell organism has been responsible for several deaths worldwide and continues to be a growing concern in many countries. So buckle up and get ready to learn about this deadly predator that lurks in your local water bodies – the brain-eating amoeba!

What is the brain eating amoeba?

The brain eating amoeba, also known as Naegleria fowleri, is a single-celled organism that can cause a rare and fatal infection of the brain. The amoeba is found in fresh water all over the world, including lakes, rivers, and hot springs. It can enter the human body through the nose and travel to the brain, where it causes a severe infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). Symptoms of PAM include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stiff neck. The infection is usually fatal unless it is treated quickly with powerful antibiotics.

How does the brain eating amoeba infect humans?

The brain eating amoeba, also known as Naegleria fowleri, is a microscopic organism that can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). The amoeba is typically found in warm freshwater, such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs. It can also be found in poorly maintained swimming pools and in thermally polluted water.

Humans can be infected with it when contaminated water enters the nose and travels to the brain. This usually occurs when people go swimming or diving in contaminated water. The amoeba then penetrates the brain tissue and begins to feed on it. The infection is usually fatal unless treated immediately with aggressive antibiotic therapy.

What are the symptoms ?

A brain eating amoeba infection can cause a variety of symptoms, including headaches, fevers, seizures, and vomiting. In some cases, the infection can lead to death.

How can you prevent a brain eating amoeba infection?

One of the best ways to prevent an infection is to avoid swimming in freshwater lakes, rivers, and hot springs. This is because the amoeba typically lives in these types of water sources. If you do swim in these areas, it’s important to wear protective gear, such as a nose plug or face mask.

You can also reduce your risk of infection by avoiding contact with contaminated soil or water. If you do come into contact with either of these, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards. Finally, make sure to cook food properly before consuming it as the amoeba can also contaminate food sources.

Treatment for a brain eating amoeba infection

The infection can be treated with a variety of different medications. The most common medication used to treat this type of infection is amphotericin B, which is an antifungal medication. Other medications that may be used include flucytosine, voriconazole, and caspofungin. In some cases, surgery may also be necessary to remove the amoeba from the brain.


According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have been 34 reported cases of infection in the United States from 2009 to 2018. Of those, 30 were associated with recreational water activities, and four were caused by contaminated tap water.

The CDC also reports that the fatality rate for brain-eating amoeba infections is over 97%. However, it’s important to note that these statistics only include confirmed cases. Many more people may have been infected but not seek medical attention or be properly diagnosed.


The brain eating amoeba is a rare but potentially deadly condition that can be contracted through contact with contaminated water. The suggested probable case definition based on the findings is the acute onset of fever, headache, and vomiting with meningeal symptoms following exposure to freshwater within the previous 14 days.  Although there are treatments available that may help to reduce the severity of its symptoms, prevention is still the best course of action when it comes to avoiding this life-threatening infection. By taking steps such as wearing proper protective gear when swimming or participating in water sports and being careful not to drink from streams or lakes, you can significantly lower your risk of contracting this dangerous parasite.